Components of an Image Processing System
3628 Views • Posted On Sept. 29, 2020
The basic components comprising a typical general-purpose system used for digital image processing are:
- It refers to sensing.
- The image sensor captures incoming light, convert it into an electrical signal, measure that signal, and output it to supporting electronics.
- An image sensor is a 2D array of light-sensitive elements that convert photons into electrons.
- CCD (Charged Coupled Device) and CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide Conductor) image sensors are widely used in image-capturing devices like digital cameras.
- Image sensors have two elements that are required to capture digital images.
- The first is a physical device (sensor) that is sensitive to the energy radiated by the object we wish to convert to image.
- The second is a digitizer that is used for converting the output of a physical sensing device into digital form.
Specialized Image Processing Hardware
- It consists of the digitizer and hardware that performs primitive operations, such as an Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU), which performs arithmetic and logical operations in parallel on entire images.
- The computer in an image processing system is a general-purpose computer and can range from a PC to a supercomputer.
Image Processing Software
- Software for image processing consists of specialized modules that perform specific tasks.
- A well-designed package also includes the capability for the user to write code.
- Mass storage refers to the storage of a large amount of data in persisting and machine-readable fashion.
- The mass storage capability is a must in image processing applications.
- Image display is the final link in the digital image processing chain.
- Image displays are mainly colored TV monitors.
- Various devices for recording images are Laser printers, film cameras, heat-sensitive devices, and digital units, such as optical and CD-ROM disks.
- It is a required component to transmit image information over a networked computer.
- Because of the large amount of data inherent in image processing applications, the key consideration in image transmission is bandwidth.
Share this tutorial with someone who needs it
Most Popular Tutorials in Data Science